Synopsis of Ambition
This newly created place will be the centre of everything to do with youth in Milton Keynes. It will draw to it all young people in Milton Keynes and the surrounding regions and will be seen as a project of national significant.
It will be open and enticing, it will feel comfortable and appealing to young people, it will be their place, their space, where their needs are of foremost consideration.
In this place there will be a wide range of services and activities for young people; these will be provided by a wide range of partner organisations as well as the YMCA itself.
The place will be known for its innovation and experimental nature, the place will be edge and high energy, but will also have space for peace and contemplation.
The place will be a space of no labels; the adult label will not stick on young people here. Young people will be able, with ease and without complication, to move from one service to another, from one project to another activity as freely as possible with no hassle.
This place will invite participation and attract contribution, the management and operating environment will be one of full engagement and full accountability to young people whose views and ambitions will be the deciding criteria in all decisions taken.
Housing for Young People
- 100 self contained low support self catered flats minimum 35m2
- 50 self contained high support bed sits with accompanying community space, training rooms, communal kitchen / diner
- 20 High support emergency housing unit beds- fully catered
- Large multi-purpose hall, to be used for range of youth art activities, performance, exhibition, recreational, learning programmes. (From skate boarding to drama, to music to fitness) retractable tiered seating, full theatre function.
- Music & Motion Space, recording studio, video editing, digital streaming, conference calling, virtual reality
- Walls that can be climbed, abseiled or bungeed
- Cardular vascular work-out space, amongst the mix
- Learning to live - access all areas youth library
- Quiet and reflective spaces
- Creative art studio space
- Study & brain gym – College learning, development of ideas and self actualisation
- Information and connection into services
Enterprising and Innovation
Social enterprise seed bed units
- Commercial tenants
- Open access web site
The development should be near carbon neutral, generating its own green energy, using grey water systems, natural ventilation, clever design feature which complements and uses natural light, warmth and wind.
Spaces within the development will be innovative, unique and special, they will cultivate creativity. The development will incorporate high technology specification and should be a test bed for IT invention. Space for future will need to be incorporated so that the technology of the tomorrow’s can be easily integrated at a later date. The building(s), external spaces and landscaping will be exclusive and iconic; the development will be a manifestation of the energy of youth culture.
Excellence for all young people will underpin the development. It is believed that the best service and provision is required to demonstrate the high value of the young people who use the spaces. Everything about this development should create self esteem.
‘Bog standard’ is a no go area.
Highly Developed Partnerships
The YMCA will act as the catalyst for the development of service and the resulting complex / campus will have a highly developed partnership approach to delivering services.
The development will act as a home for numerous youth focused organisations from both the voluntary and the statutory sectors.
Free art studio space will provided for resident artists The development will include 5 seed bed units for small start up businesses.
MacIntyre care will operate a learning centre from the development to include 4 dedication training room, a small administration base and would make use of the other facilities.